McIntosh County, Georgia Sheriff’s Office
A Message from Your Advocate
In an effort to be more sensitive to the needs of victims of crime, the McIntosh County Sheriff’s Office has created this web page to inform you of your rights and responsibilities as a victim. We have also provided additional information you may need during this difficult time.
The McIntosh County Sheriff’s Office is committed to seeing that justice is done and to make your experience with our office as positive as possible. We handle a large number of cases, and the workload may cause us to seem impersonal. This is not the case, however. What we are doing is a sincere effort to provide the citizens of McIntosh County with a more personal service to victims.
Victim/Witness Program Coordinator
State of Georgia
Family Violence Act
The occurrence of one or more of the following acts between past and present spouses, persons who are parents of the same child, parents & children, stepparents & stepchildren, foster parents & foster children, or other persons living or formerly living in the same household:
- Any felony; or
- Commission of offenses of battery, simple battery, simple assault, assault, stalking, criminal damage to property, unlawful restraint, or criminal trespass.
The term “family violence” shall not be deemed to include reasonable discipline administered by a parent to a child in the form of corporal punishment, restraint, or detention.
Victim’s Bill of Rights
You have the right to be notified of:
- Arrest of the accused
- Availability of victim service programs
- Availability of compensation for victims of violent crime
- Any court hearing where release of the accused will be considered
- Release of the accused
- Court proceedings during prosecution of the case
- Motion for new trial or appeal dates
- Change of status of the defendant, if you request this in writing
You have the right to:
- Express your opinion on the release of the accused pending court proceedings
- Express your views on the outcome of the case prior to plea negotiations or sentencing of the accused
- Complete a Victim Impact Statement
In order for you to be notified of various proceedings, you must provide law enforcement with your address, and home and work phone numbers. If your number changes, you must notify us or:
Tom Durden, District Attorney
Nikki Lynn (Advocate)
945 E.G. Miles Parkway
Hinesville, Georgia 31313
If the defendant (accused) is convicted and sent to prison and you would like to be notified of parole or would like to express your opinion prior to a parole decision, you must write the Board of Pardons and Paroles in Atlanta. After the defendant is incarcerated, you can be notified of any change in the inmate’s status (release, work release, furlough, escape, death) by registering with the Department of Corrections V.I.N.E. (Victim Information and Notification EveryDay).
If you have been physically injured as a result of a violent crime, you may be eligible for victim compensation. You must file a compensation application within one year after the date of the crime. There does not have to be an arrest in order to apply.
Compensation can help with out-of-pocket expenses not covered by insurance, Medicaid, worker’s compensation, etc. Eligible expenses include medical, counseling, funeral and lost wages. The Victim/Witness Assistance Program has compensation applications and can help you apply.
Temporary Protective Orders
Temporary Protective Orders are for those in fear of violence, serious bodily injury or harm, or stalking by an abuser. The McIntosh County Victim Assistance Program assists victims with completing the necessary paperwork for obtaining protective orders. WE ARE NOT ATTORNEYS. We do not provide legal advice.
Important Phone Numbers
- McIntosh County Sheriff’s Office
Victim/Witness Assistance Program
- Darien Police Department
- District Attorney’s Office
- McIntosh County State/Superior
Clerk of Court
- Tri-County Protective Shelter
- McIntosh County DFCS
- Amity House
- Safe Harbor Children’s Shelter
- Golden Isles Children’s Advocacy Center